A criminal defense attorney is very important member in any case preceding. He/She is the one who who represent those charged with crimes or may be charged. These person are called defendant and a prosecutor is a lawyer who is hired by government to prosecute individual who are formally accused to have committed a crime.
Once a person has been identified as formally accused of a crime or criminal offense, he or she proceed to court for an arraignment. At this point, the accused (or the criminal defense lawyer, on behalf of the accused) will initiate a formal response to the aforesaid charges, which is called a plea, which will further be presented to the judge.
A criminal defense lawyer work is not limited to only cross-examining witnesses but has major role to play in court. Some of them are listed below
• The assigned defense attorney has to work with the defendant and the prosecutor to negotiate what is commonly called as a “plea deal. These plea often reduce potential sentence or even exclude some or all of the charges filled against you.
• Assist and help you during your emotional journey that one often go hand-in-hand along with criminal trials. Defendants in criminal prosecutions also sometimes feel depressed, embarrassed and extreme fearful which results into firing low self-esteem. A good lawyer channel all these bad sects and bring out best out of it.
• Important legal rules, intricacies, faults, and regulations that common public or individual would most likely never find on their own, can be easily handled by defense attorney. Many rules and laws about criminal prosecutions are buried inside the law books and within regulations and laws, and even sometimes prior court opinions.
• A lawyer always effectively gather evidence and statements more easily from witnesses that are assisting or going to be called by the prosecution. Many witnesses refuse to directly talk to people that were allegedly involved in a crime, for fear of their own safety. However, these witnesses often willing to interact to an attorney.
• Even if you are found guilty, a defense lawyer helps to find good sentencing program for you, prevent from winding back up in the criminal justice system. For example, instead of complete 10 months imprisonment, your criminal defense attorney may help you to take imprisonment only for 6 months and spend the remaining 4 months in some treatment or other suggestive facility that landed you in trouble due to this crime in the first place.
If you are planning to defend your case in court, then your decision is definitely not completely correct. Since every case is different from other and need an expert mind as well practice to cleverly defend charges as well as understanding of criminal law or current criminal justice system of that country or state.